Football NewsArgentina’s World Cup Victory Party Ends in Violence
Post image

Argentina celebrated their first World Cup victory since 1986 with a massive celebration in the capital city of Buenos Aires, with an estimated five million people taking to the streets.

The open-top bus parade in Argentina ended in pandemonium, with one fan killed, police attacked by missile-throwing hooligans, and a five-year-old in a coma.

La Albiceleste overcame France on penalties to win their first World Cup since 1986. They then returned home early the next morning before hitting the streets in an open-top bus to show off the trophy to delighted onlookers.

More than five million people are believed to have flocked to the streets of Buenos Aires to see the victorious team. But chaos immediately followed, forcing the team to abandon their bus and fly the rest of the way in helicopters.

According to Buenos Aires police, one individual died that night after falling from a great height while jumping on a roof. A 24-year-old man died after being taken to Fernandez Hospital with a head injury, according to the Ministry of Health.

According to police, he was celebrating the World Cup victory when a plate collapsed and he fell to the ground. A five-year-old kid is also in a coma following a significant head injury sustained in an incident in Plaza San Martin.According to local sources, a piece of marble fell from a monument during the celebrations and struck the toddler. Following the incident, the five-year-old is now in intensive care.

Police were also attacked by hooligans throwing projectiles, forcing cops to take cover. As firefighters sought to reach admirers who had climbed to the top of the 235-foot-high Obelisk monument, a group of officers was observed sheltering behind their shields.

Young males were also spotted pelting police with bottles and stones, with an estimated three million people congregating around the base of the Obelisk alone. According to initial reports, 13 people were arrested during the celebrations, and eight officers were hurt.

Both figures are expected to grow throughout Wednesday as the aftermath of Tuesday’s mayhem becomes obvious. After two supporters attempted to leap inside their bus, the group was forced to leave their march.

One man successfully leapt on, but another plunged headfirst to the ground after colliding with the back of the bus. The squad was instead transferred to Argentine Navy helicopters and flown the rest of the way back to the Argentine Football Association headquarters in Ezeiza.

Foreign journalists also experienced considerable difficulties when broadcasting live stories back to their studios. Matthias Ebert, a South American correspondent for Germany’s ARD, was pulled into the air and tossed around with a replica World Cup on his head.

He was then plastered in foam, leaving him appearing like a snowman, but he continued to speak from his microphone over the roaring spectators. As the Argentines applauded, “hell was unleashed,” according to Ebert.
“Hell is breaking loose here. Since the early hours of the morning, everyone has been waiting for the team. There is a great sense of accomplishment and pride. “They certainly want to show Germany that they won,” he said.

CNN’s Stefano Pozzebon was also drenched in foam, and some supporters became hostile towards the reporter. Pozzebon had to push one man away when he tried to take his microphone.