Diego Simeone’s side are currently fourth in the table boasting 33 points from 20 matches while Valencia occupies ninth having collected 29 points from their opening 21 games.
- Atletico will again be without Marcos Llorente, Antoine Griezmann and Geoffrey Kondogbia through injury. Angel Correa is also expected to be absent with a muscular complaint.
- Head coach Simeone will make changes from the side that started the defeat to Real Sociedad in Copa del Rey. As such, Thomas Lemar, Luis Suarez and Matheus Cunha will be in line to start.
- Cunha could be awarded the nod over Joao Felix to feature alongside Suarez in a front two. Meanwhile, Koke, Rodrigo De Paul and Lemar should again line up in a midfield four.
- Maxi Gomez and Daniel Wass could again miss out through Covid-19. Carlos Soler and Gabriel Paulista are also absent through injury.
- Head coach Bordalas will have been pleased with what he saw against Sevilla. So there are not expected to be many changes. But, Jasper Cillessen picked up an injury during the 1-1 draw. He will therefore be replaced between the sticks by Jaume Domenech.
- Jose Gaya was sent off on Wednesday. He should be replaced by Toni Lato at left-back. But, Guedes and Hugo Duro are again expected to feature as the front two with Helder Costa and Denis Cheryshev potentally starting on the bench.
There is no downplaying the importance of this match. Both sides are in need of the three points but most especially Atletico considering their recent issues. It would not be a surprise to see a draw on Saturday. But we just have the feeling that the reigning champions will do enough to secure the three points.
Our Prediction is Atletico Madrid 2-1 Valencia
Atletico Madrid: Oblak, Vrsaljko, Hermoso, Gimenez, Lodi, Lemar, De Paul, Koke, Carrasco, Suarez, Cunha.
Valencia: Domenech, Correia, Diakhaby, Alderete, Lato, Foulquier, Racic, Guillamon, Musah, Duro, Guedes.