During the weekend, Brentford went down 2-0 to Brighton. Meanwhile, Pep Guardiola’s side came out on top in a nine-goal thriller against Leicester City.
- Brentford lost Bryan Mbeumo to a tight calf after 41 minutes against Brighton. The attacker has now joined Zanka, Kristoffer Ajer, Josh Dazilva, Rico Henry, Charlie Goode and David Raya on the sidelines.
- Frank’s midfield options have also been depleted by the absences of Vitaly Janelt and the suspended Christian Norgaard with Frank Onyeka hopeful of earning a recall here.
- Yoane Wissa will likely support Ivan Toney up top in Mbeumo’s possible absence. As such, Dominic Thompson will continue on the left-hand side for the time being.
- Kyle Walker and Rodri were not passed fit for the clash with Leicester. As a result, Guardiola may very well choose to save the pair for the New Year’s Day Clash with an in-form Arsenal.
- John Stones also missed out Boxing Day match due to injury. Ferran Torres did also miss. However, the Spaniard has already completed the move to Barcelona anyway.
- Phil Foden and Jack Grealish will both hope to be reinstated to the first XI. This after being dropped due to off-field behavior with Guardiola also potentially considering Gabriel Jesus for a recall amid the packed schedule.
Guardiola and his side City may very well have one eye on the impending showdown with Arsenal. But that should not impact their hopes of a routine win over an inconsistent Brentford.
Brentford on the other hand has performed valiantly against the big teams on home soil. But amid an absentee crisis that is not letting up, City ought to record a 10th successive Premier League win in style.
Our prediction is Brentford 1-3 Manchester City
Possible Line Up
Brentford: Fernandez, Pinnock, Sorensen, Jansson, Canos, Onyeka, Baptiste, Jensen, Thompson, Wissa, Toney.
Manchester City: Ederson, Cancelon, Laporte, Ake, Zinchenko, Gundogan, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Jesus, Foden, Grealish.