Chelsea vs Lille
Chelsea vs Lille
Chelsea will continue their Champions League title defense on Tuesday night when Lille visits Stamford Bridge for the opening leg of their last-16 tie.
The Blues could only finish second in Group H, tying them with the Ligue 1 champions, who finished first in a closely contested Group G.
- Playmaker Mason Mount is still recovering from ankle surgery. However, he has a tiny possibility of joining Cesar Azpilicueta in the starting lineup although there is less hope about Callum Hudson-condition.
- Ben Chilwell continues to heal from his terrible ACL injury. Meanwhile, Reece James improves his hamstring rehabilitation. But unfortunately, the right-back will miss the opening leg after contracting the illness.
- Following aiding Ziyech’s late goal against Palace, Tuchel may consider recalling Timo Werner after another lackluster effort from Romelu Lukaku at the weekend. Marcos Alonso should also return to the first XI after assisting Ziyech’s late victory.
- Angel Gomes was forced to leave Lille’s match against Metz after just 27 minutes due to a calf problem. Therefore, Hatem Ben Arfa or Timothy Weah might start at Stamford Bridge.
- Edon Zhegrova’s red card at the weekend has no bearing on this game, although he is unlikely to start in any event, and if Jose Fonte and Burak Yilmaz are booked tonight, they will miss the second leg.
- After serving a domestic suspension, Gourvennec will almost certainly start Renato Sanches in place of Xeka from the first whistle, and Zeki Celik should replace Tiago Djalo at right-back.
When David and Yilmaz are on form, Lille has a chance to break the opposition defense. But Les Dogues’ consistency since the turn of the year makes any surprises in the English capital exceedingly unlikely.
Despite their impressive run of results, Chelsea has been far from inspirational. But a rejuvenated squad will hope to come out convincing winners and take a healthy first-leg advantage to the Stade Pierre-Mauroy.
Our prediction is Chelsea 2-0 Lille.
Chelsea: Mendy, Christensen, Silva, Rudiger; Azpilicueta, Jorginho, Kovacic, Alonso; Ziyech, Havertz; Werner
Lille: Jardim; Celik, Fonte, Botman, Gudmundsson; Weah, Andre, Sanches, Bamba; David, Yilmaz;