Inter Milan vs Liverpool
Inter Milan vs Liverpool
Inter Milan will meet six-time European champions Liverpool in the opening leg of their last-16 encounter at San Siro on Wednesday night, in a highly anticipated Champions League match.
The Reds were one of three clubs in this year’s edition to finish the group stage with an undefeated record, while the Nerazzurri came in second place behind Real Madrid.
- Inter will be without Joaquin Correa and Robin Gosens due to thigh ailments, while Nicolo Barella is suspended after being sent off against Real Madrid in their last group game.
- Furthermore, Aleksandar Kolarov is ineligible to participate after being dropped from the club’s Champions League squad. This will allow January arrivals Gosens and Felipe Caicedo to play. Stefano Sensi, who joined Sampdoria on loan last month, is the other player who has been removed.
- Alessandro Bastoni is currently serving a domestic suspension. But the Italian is available to play in midweek. He is expected to start alongside Stefan De Vrij and Milan Skriniar on the left side of a back three, replacing Federico Dimarco.
- Former Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko, who has scored in each of his previous three matches against Liverpool, is poised to partner Lautaro Martinez in attack, with Alexis Sanchez a bench option.
- Arturo Vidal, who has only played five games this season, is anticipated to replace Barella in central midfield, where he will be joined by Marcelo Brozovic and Hakan Calhanoglu.
- After last weekend’s success at Turf Moor, Klopp may make one or two changes to his starting lineup, with the likes of Thiago Alcantara, Naby Keita, and James Milner all vying for a spot alongside Jordan Henderson and Fabinho in central midfield.
- Despite starting on the bench against Burnley due to a dead leg suffered in the build-up, Diogo Jota should be in contention to start.
- With January addition Luis Diaz set to start on the bench, the Portugal international may replace Roberto Firmino in the starting XI, joining Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane in a fearsome front three.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joel Matip, Virgil van Dijk, and Andrew Robertson will form a back four to protect goalkeeper Alisson Becker.
While Liverpool will be the favorites to win, Inter will be hoping to secure a first-leg advantage in front of their home fans.
The Reds have conceded in each of their previous four Champions League away games. But they should have enough quality in the final third to outscore their opponents and take a slim advantage back to Anfield.
Our prediction is Inter Milan 1-2 Liverpool
Inter Milan: Dumfries, Vidal, Brozovic, Calhanoglu, Perisic; Martinez, Dzeko; Handanovic, Skriniar, De Vrij, Bastoni.
Liverpool: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago; Salah, Jota, Mane;