Football NewsMason Greenwood Makes First Public Statement Since the Incident
Post image

After having allegations of attempted rape and assault dropped against him, Mason Greenwood has made his first public statement since the incident.

Since the charges first appeared in January 2022, the 21-year-old player, Mason Greenwood, had been placed on indefinite suspension by United. After further investigation, he was arrested and charged with one crime of attempted rape, one count of assault, and many counts of engaging in controlling and coercive behavior on multiple occasions.

It had been planned that he would stand trial in November of this year; but, on Thursday (February 2), it was reported that all accusations against him have been dismissed.

Greenwood expressed the following in a statement that was issued on his behalf: “I would want to express my gratitude to my family, loved ones, and friends for their support during this ordeal and express how pleased I am that it has finally been resolved. At this time, we will not be providing any more remark.”

During the time that an internal inquiry into the situation is being carried out by Manchester United, Greenwood will not be allowed to play for or practice with the team. The length of Greenwood’s current deal at Old Trafford is set to expire in June of 2025.

United wrote the following in their statement: “It has been brought to the attention of Manchester United that the Crown Prosecution Service has decided not to proceed with any of the allegations that had been brought against Mason Greenwood. Before deciding what its next move should be, the club will first carry out its own process. We are going to withhold any additional remark until such time as that process is finished.”

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, “the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic possibility of conviction.” [Crown Prosecution Service]

The CPS further stated: “Under these conditions, we have a responsibility to bring an end to this legal proceeding. We have expressed our decision to all parties. If there are any possible victims, we will always encourage them to come forward and report the crime to the authorities, and we will pursue legal action if the appropriate conditions are met.”

Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, who is in charge of public protection for the Greater Manchester Police, issued a separate statement in which she said: “The investigation team has stayed in close contact with the legal team, providing them with any noteworthy updates as they become available. As a result, they are aware of the reasons behind the decision to terminate the proceedings at this stage, as well as the fact that this choice was not made lightly.”

“We have made the decision not to comment on this matter any further, despite the fact that it has garnered the interest of both the public and the media.”

“Nevertheless, I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to restate the GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and providing support to those affected, irrespective of the circumstances under which they find themselves, throughout what can be a challenging and upsetting time for them.”

“To better protect the public and care for those who have been harmed by criminal activity, an increasing number of law enforcement personnel are participating in specialized training, and the department is making greater use of the resources made accessible by the legal system.”

“If you feel that you are or might be a victim, please do not allow this case discourage you from seeking help, especially if you feel that you are a victim.”