Son Heung-min: “really Sorry” for Andre Gomes incident
Tottenham forward, Son Heung said he was ‘sorry’ for his tackle to Everton’s midfielder, Andre Gomes. This tackle resulted in a horrific ankle injury which left everybody in worry.
Gomes had surgery on Monday after he suffered a fractured dislocation to his right ankle in Sunday’s League draw.
Son was sent off the pitch for his tackle on Gomes and was visibly distressed.
“It has been a tough few days,” said Son after he scored twice in Spurs’ 4-0 Champions League win at Red Star Belgrade.
“I have realized how lucky I am. With all the support I have had from the fans and my team-mates” he added.
“I can say I’m sorry for the incident and the situation but I had to focus on the team and keep going. It was the right response to all the people who have supported me.”
Son scored two goals in four minutes as second-places Tottenham easily won their Group B game to open up a four-point gap over Red Star Belgrade in third.
The South Korean did not celebrate his first goal. Instead, he clasped his hands and bowed his head.
His red card for the tackle on Gomes at Goodison Park was overturned by the Football Association on Tuesday following an appeal by Tottenham.
The club’s manager, Mauricio Pochettino had described Son as ‘devastated’ following the incident. While the teammate Dele Alli, on the other hand, said, “he could not pick his head up.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Gomes thanked fans on social media for their support.
He said, “I am already at home with my family. I would like to thank you all for the supportive messages.”