CricketTim Southee responds to questions on pulling out of national contract
Post image
Veteran New Zealand pacer Tim Southee has responded to questions that he may one day follow in the footsteps of teammate Trent Boult and step down from his national contract.

The topic has created a lot of buzz to start the domestic season as last week opener Martin Guptill became the third Black Cap to be relieved of his contract in recent months.

Guptill, who played for melbourne Renegades in Australia’s Big Bash, joins bolt and Colin de Grandhomme, who have been dropped from their 2022-23 central contracts. All-rounder de Grandhomme has retired from international cricket.

Asked if he would think of doing the same in the future, Southee did not respond ahead of wednesday’s ODI series final against India at Hagley Oval.


Read More:

New Zealand vs India first ODI highlights Auckland 2022


New Zealand lead the series 1-0 and India need a win to stop the hosts from winning the series. Southee has been the cornerstone for New Zealand in all three formats since making his debut at the age of 19 in 2008.

In Friday’s opening ODI, which New Zealand won by seven wickets, he became the first bowler in the world to take 300 Tests, 200 ODI and 100 T20I wickets.

The 33-year-old is closer to the end than the beginning of his international career and may face a dilemma like good friend Bolt at some point. There could be a day in the future when he decides to grab chances in the lucrative T20 league and spend more time with his young family.

Tim Southee said, “Honestly, I haven’t thought too far ahead. There’s a lot of cricket going to come to worry about in the coming months, but that’s something with which all the players are trying to stay in the growing landscape of the game and think about it.

“The body is feeling pretty good at the moment, so as long as you can handle all three and still be able to perform at that level at this level,” Tim Southee said. I love playing all three formats, so hopefully I will be able to do that for a long time.

Southee has managed to survive a serious injury throughout his career, which he attributed to a bit of luck and the work of long-term New Zealand strength and conditioning coach Chris Donaldson.