Tottenham vs Burnley
Tottenham vs Burnley
Tottenham Hotspur plays Burnley in their last Premier League home game on Sunday afternoon, fresh off an exciting North London derby triumph.
The Lilywhites defeated Arsenal 3-0 on Thursday night, while the Clarets were recently defeated 3-1 away at Aston Villa.
- Cristian Romero’s name did not appear on the teamsheet on Thursday night, dampening hopes. The Argentine defender is recovering from a hip injury sustained in the recent draw with Liverpool at Anfield.
- Spurs didn’t need Romero to stop a quiet Arsenal onslaught, nor did they need Oliver Skipp, Sergio Reguilon, Japhet Tanganga, or Matt Doherty, who are all still out with long-term injuries.
- If Romero’s hip problem does not improve in time for Sunday, Davinson Sanchez should remain in the starting lineup, with Conte anxious to prevent any unforced changes at this point of the season.
- Meanwhile, James Tarkowski, a vital center-back for Burnley, suffered a hamstring injury against Villa and is a serious question for the trip to London.
- Ben Mee and Jay Rodriguez may be unable to play on Sunday, while Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Ashley Westwood, and Matej Vydra are also recovering at Turf Moor.
- Nathan Collins and Kevin Long might so form the center-back partnership at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, where Cornet will almost probably bench ex-Lilywhites forward Aaron Lennon.
Conte and his players have less than 72 hours to recuperate after their triumph in the North London derby, and the Italian is hesitant to change a winning formula, but even with the hosts’ exhaustion, we can only see one outcome.
Burnley may be missing their first-choice central defensive combination and have suffered defeat after defeat on Spurs’ turf, yet Conte’s fired-up team should give a professional display to bolster their Champions League aspirations.
Our prediction is Tottenham 2-0 Burnley.
Tottenham: Lloris; Dier, Sanchez, Davies; Emerson, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Sessegnon; Kulusevski, Kane, Son.
Burnley: McNeil, Brownhill, Cork, Cornet; Weghorst, Barnes; Roberts, Collins, Long, Taylor;